“We’ve been doing business in Marlborough for a long time now and we found a very pro-business environment that allows us speed to market.”
— Bob Merchant, COO, Ken’s Foods
Since the launch of the Massachusetts Advanced Manufacturing Collaborative in 2011, industry, academic and government leaders have been working together to foster a strong and competitive advanced manufacturing sector in the Commonwealth. The City of Marlborough has been at the forefront of these efforts, attracting a number of innovative manufacturing companies that are on the cutting edge of technology.
In 2015, the Boyd Company, an internationally recognized corporate site selection and business relocation firm, ranked Marlborough as one of America’s Top 40 Small-Market Cities for High Tech Manufacturing. Marlborough was one of just two New England cities on the list, scoring high points for its proximity to Boston, availability of industrial and commercial real estate, moderate operating costs, transportation options, and lifestyle amenities.
Marlborough’s advanced manufacturers make a wide variety of products—from missile defense systems and liquid metal batteries, to salad dressing and athlete mini-figures. Global leaders, like Raytheon and Dow Chemical, are among the major industry players innovating alongside home-grown companies, like Diamond Machining Technology and Ruland Manufacturing (who made the valve that pressurized the space suit of the first American to walk in space!).
- In 2015, the Boyd Company ranked Marlborough among the Top 40 Small-Market Cities for High Tech Manufacturing in the U.S.
- Marlborough is among the top 10 municipalities with the highest concentration of manufacturing jobs per capita.
- Marlborough is home to more than 100 industrial companies, which provides about 27% of the city’s jobs
- About 6,096 people work in the manufacturing industry in Marlborough
- There are 2.1 million SF of rentable and 124,700 SF of vacant manufacturing space in Marlborough.*
* Totals provided by CoStar as of March 2, 2017.
Helen of Troy
Senko Advanced Components
OK International Corp.
Diamond Machining Technology
*Based on number of employees.