With its unrivaled cluster of top-notch post-secondary institutions, it’s no surprise that Massachusetts leads the nation in the fields of science and technology. Since its 2002 launch, the State Tech and Science Index published bi-annually by the Milken Institute has consistently ranked the Commonwealth in the No. 1 spot. The most recent State of Technology Report by the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council also revealed the significant economic impact of the state’s tech industry, ranking Massachusetts first nationwide for concentration of jobs and talent, first in technology manufacturing, second in technology services, and fourth in terms of tech firms and jobs added.
With an already strong tech sector, pioneered by IT giants Hewlett-Packard and Digital Equipment Corporation and compounded by the recent arrivals of companies like SanDisk and ReWalk Robotics, Marlborough has been earning its own accolades. The Intelligent Community Forum, a prominent New York think tank, named the city among the world’s Smart21 Communities of 2016. Marlborough and San Diego, CA were the only U.S. cities among the select group of global honorees, which included communities from Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Germany, The Netherlands, New Zealand and Sweden. ICF used a combination of indicators—broadband, knowledge workforce, innovation, digital equality, sustainability, and advocacy—to determine Marlborough’s competitiveness and success in the broadband economy.
Marlborough’s high tech companies represent a wide range of services and industries, including software development, communications, engineering and robotics.
- In 2015, the Intelligent Community Forum named Marlborough among the world’s Smart21 Communities of 2016.
- Marlborough’s high tech industry employs close to 2,000 people
- The Marlborough area is home to 30% of Massachusetts technology jobs
- The high-tech industry is directly or indirectly responsible for 35% of all Massachusetts jobs and 31% of the gross state product
- There are 15 million SF of rentable and 1.2 million SF of vacant commercial and industrial space in Marlborough.*
* Totals provided by CoStar as of March 2, 2016.
Sungard Availability Services
Park Place Technologies
Communication Technology Services
Tritech Software Systems
*Based on number of employees.