Over the past decade, Massachusetts has become a global leader in the life sciences industry, breeding a barrage of biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, and stem-cell-based innovation. Company after company has been joining the “biotech stampede into Massachusetts,” and, currently, 17 of the top 20 biopharma leaders have a presence in the state.
Due to its own strong commitment to the industry and its central location along the Massachusetts “Innovation Corridor,” Marlborough has become a regional biotechnology hub and a leading incubator for mature life sciences companies. In 2013, the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council honored the city with its highest distinction—Platinum BioReady™ Community—putting Marlborough among the top biotech destinations in the state.
Today, the city is home to some of the largest and most-innovative life sciences and medical device companies in Massachusetts. Alongside the headquarters of Cytiva, Boston Scientific, Sunovion, and Hologic, some 30 companies make up Marlborough’s ever-expanding life sciences community. Life sciences companies are choosing Marlborough due to its ideal location near major teaching hospitals and R&D facilities, access to a highly educated and skilled talent pool, and availability of quality and affordable Class “A” office and lab space.
- There are at least 40 life sciences companies, employing about 6,000 people in Marlborough
- Marlborough is home to three of the largest life sciences companies in Massachusetts (Cytiva, Quest Diagnostics and Sunovion) and two of the state’s largest medical device firms (Boston Scientific and Hologic).
- In 2012, the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council upgraded Marlborough to its highest rating of Platinum BioReady™ Community. Less than 7% of Massachusetts communities hold this distinction.
- In 2013, the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council publically recognized Marlborough as a “key biotechnology hub in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.”
- There are 1.5 million SF of rentable and 176,000 SF of vacant Research & Development space in Marlborough.*
* Totals provided by CoStar as of March 2, 2017.
Boston Biomedical Associates
New England Cryogenic Center
Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine
21st Century Biochemicals
Fresenius Medical Care
BWT Pharma & Biotech
*Based on number of employees.